This page has moved to a new address.

Full Figured Fashion Week - Day Two

Curvy Canadian: Full Figured Fashion Week - Day Two

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Full Figured Fashion Week - Day Two

Hey Everyone,

So I'm continuing my chronicling of the events of Full Figured Fashion Week with day two, which was this past Friday. Things were a bit more laid back as two of my room-mates and I were unable to get tickets to any of the events this day because they all sold out. So we slept in a little bit and then decided to head down to a store in Brooklyn called Redress/NYC. Basically it is a vintage and second hand clothing store purely and entirely devoted to the fuller figured woman (sizes L/12 and up). You can only imagine my joy upon entering this store. There was such a wide selection of beautiful items and their entire inventory was extremely well curated. A lot of the stuff on the racks was even new with tags. We were also very lucky because Sweetooth Couture Designs was holding a trunk show while we were in the city which was hosted by Redress/NYC, so we were able to see all of Rachel's fabulous new skirts, dresses, jackets, and belts!

We started the day off at Tick Tock Diner in NYC. Gotta have a good breakfast before all that shopping!

My room-mate Yoli and I. They were calling me Snow White all weekend and after looking at this picture, I can see why! Wow, I'm pale. Hope I get a little sun soon...

My room-mates Sarah, Yoli, and I. Jessica is missing because she went on a shopping excursion which was one of the Full Figured Fashion Week's events and was organized by Marie Denee from Curvy Fashionista
After breakfast, we wandered down to Brooklyn to check out what Re/Dress had to offer. And let me tell you, we were impressed.

Exterior of Redress/NYC
Many shoppers happily browsing...

One of Redress' new associates - Siobhan - who is so sweet and helpful and cute. Sorry for this picture! I only had one of her and it's with her eyes closed!

This is a Redress change room. They are made using gazebo structures that you put up in your backyard, which means they're nice and big. There's a big rack inside to put all of your picks on, and a nice long bench too, so you can tie up your shoes. A very plus size friendly fitting room!

This is the sign outside the fitting room. No body shame here! You can get changed with your friends, or, as the sign suggests, make new ones!

So remember how I said there was a trunk show by Sweetooth Couture? This is me with Rachel, its designer.


She has such a stunning collection. Her pieces were flying off the rack. It was only 45 minutes into the trunk show and the stuff she brought was virtually gone, and she had to start taking measurements of customers for custom work instead. I got loads of pictures of the collection and some fantastic women trying on its pieces. 










 



































Remember how I told you I was having wardrobe malfunctions all weekend long? This was the second day it happened. I decided to dress comfortably since we were just going shopping in Brooklyn, and the Full Figured Fashion Week gods decided this was unacceptable, and so the zipper on my dress broke! I ended up having to wear some of the clothes I bought out of the store. As my roomies were saying, I looked better going out than I did coming in! Here's what I ended up in:

Outfit 1 (beige dress) - Dress-Dots/Shoes - Spring/Leggings - Forever 21+/Purse - Costa Blanca/Earrings and Necklace - Dollarama/Bracelets - Crafted from Beads purchased at Walmart
Outfit 2 (floral top and hareem pants) - purchased at ReDress (the top is originally from F21+ and the pants are originally from Lane Bryant Icon collection. All accessories as above.






































They had champagne and red velvet cupcakes to celebrate the trunk show and Full Figured Fashion week as well. That's three of my favourite things (cupcakes, champagne, and shopping) all rolled into one fabulous experience! 

We tried to check out some other stores in Brooklyn, but by the time we finally left Redress (I think we were there about 5 hours, and I'm also pretty sure the staff were wondering if we'd ever leave), all the other stores were already closed. We schlepped back to Manhattan, exhausted and aglow with the delight that only a good shop can bring, and we ate pizza at Sbarro for dinner because we were just way too tired to work up the enthusiasm to go anywhere else (and because we knew we had to be up early for the Kmart Blogger's Brunch the next day, which I will tell you all about tomorrow). So all in all, a fantastic experience at Redress. If you're in the area, I encourage you to go and check them out. Next time I'm near NYC, I am definitely going back, and I'm going to bring in some clothes as well (they'll give you 25% of the price they plan to sell your garments for in cash, or 40% in store credit - they won't accept just anything though, it has to be good stuff). So what do you think? Have any of you ever been to Redress or maybe a store like it? I loved it there. I wish there was something similar in Toronto!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:39:00 AM , Blogger Yvette said...

That store sounds amazing! I've never been to a plus-size only consignment, but it's a great idea, but probably could only work in big cities. I wouldn't know for Canada, but my local consignment stores and resale fashion chains (Buffalo Exchange) generally have a fair amount of plus size items as well.

http://fashionandhistrionics.blogspot.com/

 
At Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:46:00 PM , Blogger CurvyCdn said...

It is pretty awesome! I've been fantasizing about opening up my own ever since I got back. Probably just a pipe dream... but yeah, most of the second hand/vintage stores have at least a few items, but it's nice to go to a store where pretty much everything fits!

 
At Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:57:00 PM , Anonymous Chiku said...

Hey Karen! I was watching a new show on TLC yesterday called 'Big Sexy' and a woman named Leslie who was featured in it works at the store! When I was watching it, I thought "this sounds fimiliar" and remembered this post! The clothes look amazing, and I also love that outfit you came out with!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home