This page has moved to a new address.

Six Take: A Tale of Six Cities (Toronto)

Curvy Canadian: Six Take: A Tale of Six Cities (Toronto)

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Six Take: A Tale of Six Cities (Toronto)

Hey everyone!

Sorry it's been so long since my last post! I've been working on this epic six-take featuring city-inspired style. Since I am from Toronto, and it's such a diverse city (both in population and in terms of its architecture and things to do, I couldn't just take pictures of one place and outfit, so I took inspiration from a number of different locations across Toronto. I've been putting together the outfits and shooting them for over a week! I hope you like it!

Toronto is situated on Lake Ontario, one of the 5 great lakes. The lake is a big part of Toronto culture and recreation, with residents and visitors flocking towards it on hot days. There are loads of beautiful yachts docked along the shore, as boating is a favourite pass-time of Torontonians. I interpreted Toronto's love of the lake with this nautical look.


































Hat, Purse, Earrings, Necklace, and some of the Bracelets - Thrifted/Shoes - Penneys (Ireland)/Skirt and Camisole- Ricki's/Tunic - Forever 21+


































Another really amazing part of the city is Kensington Market. It's crazy colourful community with lots to see and do. Since it is a market community, there are loads of vendors selling everything from fresh fruit to linens, meat and fish, chocolate, baked goods, and clothing. It is a very socially conscious neighbourhood, so you find a lot of vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian, organic, and fair trade options there. There is a street in the community that consists mostly of eco-friendly fashions (more organic and fair trade, and of course, vintage), and I absolutely love getting lost in it on a Sunday afternoon. I interpreted this neighbourhood in my outfit as sort of nouveau-hippie/bohemian chic. 

This car is a project called the "Community Car Reclamation Project." It's an old car that has been totally gutted and has been reclaimed as a street garden. It's permanently "parked" in a municipal parking spot, but the city would never dare to try to remove it because of its significance to the community (not to mention the logistical difficulties of such an undertaking).
Earrings, Purse, and Skirt - Thrifted/Necklace - Dollarama/Top - Dots/Scarf - Costa Blanca/Shoes - Target/Sunglasses - gifted from Kmart/Hat - Domino Dollhouse
Another important part of Toronto that I wanted to highlight (probably because I am there so much) is the University of Toronto. It's my Alma Mater, so I couldn't resist! Many of the buildings on campus have been around since the 1800s, and it's one of the best preserved parts of early Toronto as there were a couple of massive fires around the turn of the century here. It's a beautiful place for a walk, especially on a hot day, since there are loads of shady trees to sit under. These pictures were taken in front of Hart House, which functions sort of like a student centre for U of T students. I interpreted U of T style as sort of preppy - the summer scholar...

Jacket - Thrifted/Shoes - Dorothy Perkins/Purse - a gift from my Dad (tag says Esprit)/Shorts - Dots/Camisole - Forever 21+/Bracelet - Dollarama/Necklace - Gifted from Charming Charlie


St. Lawrence Market is another really fun part of Toronto. The building that houses the market used to be Toronto's city hall (way back when Toronto was still called York). It also functioned as a jail for much of the late 1800s. Today, it is where Torontonians go to get their produce at the Saturday farmer's market and all of their spices, seasonings, meat and fish during the week. On Sundays, it even hosts antique vendors. I interpreted this Toronto site by wearing a fruit themed outfit. I kind of feel like I'm channelling Carmen Miranda a bit here!

Scarf and Clutch - Thrifted/Shorts - Dots/Top - Forever 21/Shoes - Target/Sunglasses - ASOS/Earrings - Etsy store called Bonjour Button

And the last area of Toronto of which I did a style interpretation is the Distillery District. The buildings in this district are some of the best-preserved examples of Victorian-era industrial architecture in the world, and as a result, have been the backdrop for quite a few films set in this era, including Cinderella Man and Chicago. The plant in this area was owned by William Gooderham and James Worts and produced rye-whiskey. In the 1920s, after the decline of the (short lived here in Canada) prohibition, the company was purchased by Harry C. Hatch and was renamed Hiram Walker (who still make Canadian Club). The rye-whiskey was produced at this site until 1990, after which it was converted into "the distillery district" which is now home to loads of trendy restaurants and boutiques, a excellent theatre, and functions as the backdrop to many important art exhibits (including Nuit Blanche). I interpreted this area of Toronto into my style by trying to emulate the style of the roaring twenties, just after the distillery was purchased by Harry Hatch and prohibition had ended.

Dress - Penningtons - Shoes - Redress NYC via Target/Purse - Gifted from Jessica at Chic in Every City (she's awesome) by Simply Be/Hat - Thrifted/Necklace - Garage Sale

So, lovelies, what do you think of my city and my style?

Make sure to visit all the other wonderful bloggers participating in this take of six cities!


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 02, 2011 1:37:00 PM , Blogger Domino Dollhouse said...

Thanks so much for sharing these pics...you have great style! Your look fabulous in our Turban. Bravo, doll!
- Domino Dollhouse

 
At Tuesday, August 02, 2011 2:10:00 PM , Blogger Chic in Every City said...

Epic is the perfect word to describe this shoot!!

You look gorgeous, and I especially love the fedora!

 
At Tuesday, August 02, 2011 4:30:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing, you look so gorgeous! I love your style, you have a wonderful blog here <3

 
At Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:32:00 PM , Blogger DoubleXL said...

I so agree with Jessica...Epic!!
Good job!!

 
At Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:22:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Okay you know that you did your post exactly as I wanted to... I wanted to show people my town... but I was (am) too sick to do so!! All your outfits are amazing!!!

 
At Friday, August 05, 2011 4:38:00 PM , Blogger Moya2bean said...

Great great pix! Love the blog and im soo becoming a follower one im done scanning ur pix.
U look epic!!!
Love the look!!!

chunkyfunkymonkeyz.blogspot.com/

 
At Friday, August 05, 2011 6:37:00 PM , Blogger Rikke said...

This is exactly the idea I had for my post, which I still will do later this month! Amazing. Epic. You rock it! I have something to live up to, for sure. I especially love the hippie outfit. Very stylish outfits, all of them. Proud to be in this team, with you!

xoxo Rikke
http://stickysweetdanish.blogspot.com

 
At Monday, August 08, 2011 1:58:00 AM , Blogger The Merry Traveller said...

I love your interpretations of the areas that you visit and I especially like the first and the second outfits. Also excited that you are Canadian. I've spent a month in Canada before and I have very fond memories of it.

 
At Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:21:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked the article, and the very cool blog

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home