This page has moved to a new address.

Outfit of the Day: At the Cafe Again...

Curvy Canadian: Outfit of the Day: At the Cafe Again...

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Outfit of the Day: At the Cafe Again...

Hey Everyone,

So you already know that I tend to spend a lot of time in cafes. It might be less clear why. Well, I am working on my PhD at the moment, and I honestly find cafes among the easiest places in which to do research and write.

I get a lot of quizzical looks when I tell people this, but it really works for me. It gives me a reason to wake up, eat breakfast, shower, and get ready for the day, when if I planned to spend my whole day at home, I'd probably have none of that stuff done by noon. I also see others in a similar situation at the cafe, and I feel a quiet but discernable sense of camraderie with these fellow writers and readers. There's a certain appeal about working amongst others. I know I am not alone, and if I let my eyes wander from my screen or page for too long, I can be sure that one of these kindred spirits will shame me back into focus with their own prying and distracted eyes.

There is also an endless supply of caffeinated beverages just waiting for me to order them, giving me that 3pm boost that I always so desperately need. There is no tv, couch - or worse yet - bed, to draw me into hours of procrastination that will ultimately lead to an all-nighter or a missed deadline. So the cafe is a warm place of solace for readers and writers to gather and work, drink coffee and think. And for that reason it will always be one of my favourite places - either to study, write, or pass a Sunday morning with The New York Times style section. Baristas - you have no idea how appreciated you are!

I tried a new cafe in Toronto, and I absolutely love it, despite the fact that it's almost always absolutely full of patrons (and there are many good reasons why). Peter took these pictures of me at Crema (the Junction location) in Toronto. Such excellent coffee, atmosphere, and the best chocolate almond croissant you've ever had.




































I got this amazing (yes - shoulder-padded, deal with it!) dress at Goodwill for $4. The boots are c/o Torrid, the leggings and bracelets are F21+, and the scrabble piece necklace (which spells out LOVE) is from ASOS.

Another couple of fun new things to show you: my "new" (another $4 Goodwill score) bright blue coat, and my closet jewelry organizer. Peter was tired of untangling all my necklaces all the time (I do NOT have the patience for that kind of thing!), so I've been looking for something like this for ages. I found one by Umbra, which was featured in January's Vogue, that was shaped like a little black dress, but it was $25, and didn't have as many pockets as this one that I ended up with. I found it at Wal-Mart in the jewelry section amongst the 50% off stocking stuffers and I was ecstatic. Each one was $7, so I bought two, because I have quite a bit of jewelry! I am so pleased with them. No more tangles, and now I can find everything so easily - no more burrowing through my jewelry box for that matching earring that can't be located anywhere when I'm already running 15 minutes late. It makes it easier to co-ordinate jewelry choices with clothing as well. Big time saver! If you can't tell, I'm really excited about organization, lol. Anyway, just thought I'd share that fun stuff with you!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:40:00 PM , Blogger Kate said...

That coat is amazing! I can't believe you got it for $4.

 
At Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:12:00 PM , Blogger FabEllis said...

So cute! I love the outfit and the coat is amazing!

http://www.fabellis.com

 
At Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:36:00 PM , Blogger MichaelaEng said...

You look great!

 
At Friday, January 06, 2012 11:54:00 AM , Blogger Ruby Nite said...

Oh Crema! That is just a couple of blocks from where I live actually. I go there quite a bit. You might also like The Beet which is a bit closer to Keele but still on the same side of Dundas. And, you look great :)

 
At Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:18:00 AM , Blogger salsitstyle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home